While interning at Victoria Gourmet I had the opportunity to create my own recipe. After conversing about it with my supervisors I knew a few things were certain- I wanted chicken, red sauce and something Italian. After much research, discussion, and brainstorming I came up with the recipe for an Asparagus & Buttered Leek Chicken Roulade Recipe. Take a look below!
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced horizontally and pounded to get 4, ¼ inch thick chicken cutlets
- ½ cup flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup panko
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Sicilian seasoning, divided
- 1 leek, cleaned, slice leeks lengthwise into ¼ inch wide long strips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- 12-14 pieces asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
- Difficulty Level: Medium
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Serving Size: 4
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To butterfly chicken breast:
- Put your chicken breast on a chopping board and, with your hand flat on top of it, use a sharp knife to slice into one side of the breast, starting at the thicker end and ending at the thin point. Be careful not to cut all the way through to the other side. Open out the breast so that it resembles a butterfly. Cover with cling film and pummel with a rolling pin to create an even thickness.
- To prepare the dredging station – In a shallow bowl (I prefer to use pie plates) add the flour with a teaspoon of salt and pepper in bowl, in a second shallow bowl whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and in third bowl, add the panko, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons of Sicilian seasoning
- Dredge chicken into the seasoned flour, then the egg and then finally the panko. Set chicken on wire cooling rack.
- In a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, sauté leeks in 2 tablespoons of olive oil and butter for 4-6 mins or until lightly brown; set aside to cool.
- Make cheese spread- In a small bowl mixing add the ricotta and goat cheeses, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons of parmesan and 1 teaspoon Sicilian seasoning
- Thinly smear cheese on one side of the chicken cutlets. Layer 3-4 asparagus and a quarter of the sautéed leeks on each chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken cutlets and place seam side down.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive and sauté chicken seam side down for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and sear for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 25-27 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 160 degrees F
- While the chicken cooks, make the sauce using Sicilian sauce recipe. Add link.
- Remove chicken from the oven, top with Sicilian sauce and top with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Check out recipe on Victoria Gourmet here: https://www.vgourmet.com/asparagus-buttered-leek-chicken-roulade
I hope you enjoy!